Powder Coated Aluminum Fence
All of the brands on FenceTown powder coat their aluminum fence panels, posts, gates, and most accessories. Powder coating will prevent peeling and cracking, and is a high quality alternative to standard paint. Powder coating will keep your fence looking great for many years unlike having to paint an iron or steel fence every so often. Aluminum fencing is manufactured to have the look of a wrought iron fence without the maintenance and painting requirements.
“Powder coating is a type of coating that is applied as a free-flowing, dry powder. The main difference between a conventional liquid paint and a powder coating is that the powder coating does not require a solvent to keep the binder and filler parts in a liquid suspension form. The coating is typically applied electrostatically and is then cured under heat to allow it to flow and form a “skin”. The powder may be a thermoplastic or a thermoset polymer. It is usually used to create a hard finish that is tougher than conventional paint. Powder coating is mainly used for coating of metals, such as household appliances, aluminium extrusions, drum hardware and automobile and bicycle parts.” Ref: Wikipedia
Benefits of Powder Coating
The main benefit of powder coating aluminum fence is the materials become maintenance free and won’t rust. You won’t have to paint your fence every so often like steel or iron fencing. Most steel and iron fences can rust when exposed to the elements, and will start to chip or peel over time. This requires routine maintenance in the form of scraping and repainting the fence to keep it’s appearance to your, or your homeowner association standards. The image below is an example of a steel fence that has been painted over. Notice the areas that are chipped and are peeling off.
The protective coating on aluminum fence will last for many years and keep your fence looking great. Some aluminum fence coating will fade a bit over time depending on how much continuous sun they are exposed to.
Take a look at photos supplied by our customers on how good their aluminum fence looks in our Photo Gallery .
FenceTown brands have supplied us with the information below on their powder coating process.
Pre-treatment – A three stage non-chrome pre-treatment shall be applied. The first step shall be a chemical cleaning, followed by a water rinse. The final stage shall be a dry in place activator which produces a uniform chemical conversion coating for superior adhesion.
Coating: Fence materials shall be coated with FencCoat, a Super Durable TGIC polyester powder coat finish systems applied by Jerith Manufacturing Company. The FencCoat finish shall have a cured film thickness of at least 2.0 mils.
Tests – The cured finish shall not meet or exceed AAMA 2604, which includes the following requirements:
- Humidity resistance of 3,000 hours using ASTM D2247.
- Salt spray resistance of 3,000 hours using ASTM B117
- Outdoor weathering shall show no adhesion loss, checking or crazing, with only slight fade and chalk when exposed for 5 years in Florida facing south at a 45 degree angle.
Jeriths website states “Jerith’s FencCoat powder coating system produces a high quality, long-lasting finish that is also environmentally friendly. FencCoat™ is far more durable, fade-resistant, and scratch-resistant than other types of fence coatings, including other standard powder coatings.”
Salt Water: Jerith’s warranty does not change with location of installation.
Browse Jerith Fence Products
Specrail Fence and Railing
Specrail has been a leader in custom finishing since 1957 and offers the versatility of their POWDURA powder coating finish on Specrail fences. They know that every fence or gate manufactured represents who they are, and so Specrail’s commitment is not only to their customer’s need, but also to their dedication to quality.
Specrail’s fences are coated with an environmentally approved Powdera polyester powder coating, a super durable powder tough finish that exceeds AAMA 2604 specifications. Specrail’s confidence in the quality and longevity of their product allows them to issue a Limited Lifetime Warranty with every fence system sold. This guarantee covers their products against rust, material defects and workmanship, as well as the painted finish against chipping, peeling, or cracking.
Salt Water: Materials installed under 3 miles from a coastal areas are not covered under warranty.
Browse Specrail Fence products.
Onguard Fence Products
Onguard is a top national fence supplier located in New Jersey. The information below was provided by Onguard on their preparation process for powder coating their aluminum fence.
- During the preparation stage, the fence parts are thoroughly cleaned and rinsed with aluminum cleaners, such as alkaline cleaner and osmosis rinse. In addition, the aluminum is pre-treated with conversion coating with a fluoride additive.
- Dry the fence parts
- Powder Coating
- Curing Oven
After the cleaning, rinsing, and drying steps, the fence material is ready for paint. We use paint guns to apply the paint to the fencing in powder form. The tiny particles have an electrostatic charge, which strongly attracts them to the aluminum. With the negative charge applied by the spray guns, the opposing charges create a strong bond between the aluminum surface and the paint powder.
Lastly, the powder-coated aluminum is sent into the curing oven. Here, high heat is applied to gel, cross-link, and cure the powder. In the end, the product will have a long-lasting, smooth and even coating.
Browse Onguard Fence products
Gilpin Aluminum Products
Gilpin Products warranty never changes due to the location of product installation. We stand behind our products wherever they are sold & installed.
- Pre-treatment – The cleaning / coating metal preparation utilizes zirconium based nano technology in a five-stage pre-treatment, chrome-free process. All chemicals are monitored and maintained by automatic measuring and feeding systems to ensure superior cleanliness and bond in accordance to AAMA specifications.
- Coatings – Pre-treatment described above, and all final coatings are applied in an approved Sherwin Williams AAMA 2605 powder coating facility. Monitored oven temperatures ensure proper cure of the minimal 1.8 mil film thickness.
- Tests – Continuous, on-going process testing during the cleaning and coating stages are used to certify product meets AAMA Specifications. Specific Gilpin Products required testing ensures the following adhesion and cure requirements: (Southern Florida Weathering used as reference)
- Humidity and Salt Spray resistance between 1,500 and 3,000 hours per ASTM Specifications
- 5-year warranty / protection for color retention with chalk and erosion resistance per ASTM Specifications
- Advanced weather tests are also conducted at the powder manufacturing site labs as required for on-going continuous improvement of the entire coating process.
Gilpin Products powder coating ensures that customers get a superior product that will withstand what Mother Nature throws at it.
Browse Gilpin Railing
How To Order Aluminum Fence on FenceTown
There are a couple ways to order aluminum fence or railing at FenceTown. Let us help you order all the correct materials by getting a Free Quote in 24 hours or less. We will go over your basic line drawing and make sure you have all the correct items and discounts. You can also read about aluminum fence topics on the Help and Customer Service page to learn more about FenceTown products and brands.