What are the Requirements for Pool Fence ?FenceTownThe requirements for pool fence differ from state to state. The most common pool code requirements are listed below. Please check your local building codes to find out what is required to make pool code in your area. For Pool Fencing, BOCA means that the fence meets certain standards for safety. Often times this is referred to as a Pool Barrier. Simply stated it means the fence needs to meet these basic requirements:
- The top of the fence must be at least 48-inches above ground.
- Pickets spacing is no more that 4-inches apart.
- Pickets cannot exceed 1-3/4 inches in width.
- The lower two horizontal rails must be a minimum of 45-inches apart.
- The horizontal rails need to be on the pool side of the fence.
- The lowest rail needs to be no farther that 4-inches above ground.
- Gates should open away from the pool.
- Gates should be self-closing and self latching.
- The gate release mechanism of the gate should be at least 54” from the bottom of the gate..